Visa Type

Top Most Common Visas To Work In Us

With a huge country like US, there are a lot of jobs for foreigners. For employers seeking skilled labor from the global marketplace, the U.S. immigration system offers various work visa types to fit different needs. Depending on the kind of jobs, you should apply for a different type of US visa. Below is the list of the most common visa to apply for work in US.

H-1B Visa

H-1B visa is a temporary work visa that is available to foreign nationals in specialty occupations. The kind of jobs fit for this kind of visa including engineering and computer science. This is the most popular types of work visa among various types of US work visa. Each year, there are a large number of foreigner applied for H1B visa, however the number of available H-1B visas are low, brought more attention to other visa types in recent years.

L-1 Visa

The L-1 visa classification is reserved for employers who need to transfer managers, executives or employees with specialized knowledge from a foreign entity to a U.S. branch. If you meet the requirements, the L-1 classification can be a easy way to work temporarily in the United States. With L1 visa, you can work in US between five and seven years. You can also easy to change L1 visa to green card. Spouses and children of L-1s can live and work in US with L2 visa.

TN Visa

TN visa is a special classification for citizens of Mexico and Canada that was established as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Foreign employees eligible to seek admission to TN status include accountants, engineers, lawyers, and other specifically designated professionals. This type of visa is higher valued than other work visa in US.

Green card visas

Green card or permanent resident visa in the US, the common green card visas types to work in US include the EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3 categories. The EB-1 green card is available to priority workers with exceptional knowledge in the sciences, arts, education, business, and athletics. The EB-2 green card is similar, although may also be available for workers with a master’s or bachelor’s degree and five years of post-bachelor’s work experience. Finally, EB-3 green card is available to skilled workers or professionals with a bachelor’s degree who are filling a role that requires a college degree.

For more work visa types and other immigration basics read more about US visa.